6/26/2007

Endoscopy results

As I wrote a while back, i've been having difficulty swallowing dense foods.

Well, last week, I had a barium upper GI. They didn't see anything major on that, but it was done more as a roadmap for the doctor to look at when he did the Endoscopy, which was this morning.

They found lesions in my esophagus. They did a biopsy to make sure there's not an infection in them and to make sure they aren't cancerous. I won't have the results for a week.
I have Gastritis, (irritation of the stomach lining/esophagus that can lead to stomach ulcers and are the reason for the esophageal ones). Gastritis is usually caused by an increase in a good bacteria. With this increase in bacteria, your body senses it and starts attacking, creating more acid. This is what caused the lesions (ulcers) in my esophagus.

I have a significant amount of irritation in my stomach and lesions in the esophagus, so the best way to make sure there are not pre-cancerous cells in the esophagus and stomach. It's a precautionary measure, there's no reason to suspect there's anything major going on.

The biopsy will also help to determine if the lesions are infected with a of bad bacteria.

On top of all this, i have a Hernia. The stomach is pushing through an opening in the diaphragm. Most people who have this are born with it and have no problems. But many women have problems after they have been pregnant and everything gets shifted around. Basically, it allows food and acid to back up into your esophagus.

So that's what's going on w/ me. I'll update as I get more information.

No comments: